Focus Question: How effectively did Progressivism address problems exposed by the Gilded Age?
In groups, you will create a 7-10 minute video on one of the topics below. You will research your topic from the Gilded Age, explain how it led to Progressive Era reforms, and assess the success of said reforms. Mandatory components are the same as an essay: thesis, assertions, evidence, and analysis.
The product for submission is a video. There are few parameters for the format, but it must include relevant pictures, political cartoons, graphs, and/or video clips. Find options below:
- Create a Slides presentation and screen record.
- Create a Crash Course or Khan Academy style video.
- Create a video in which you and your group are the actors.
- Propose another idea and get it approved by me.
Regardless of format, each group member is responsible for researching and speaking during the video.
- How did industrialists (like Rockefeller and Carnegie) become financially successful and how did that wealth affect American society?
- Labor Movements
- How was industrialization a catalyst for labor reform, what reforms did governments implement, and who benefited from said reforms?
- Political Corruption
- How was political corruption manifested during the Gilded Age, and did greater democracy address the issues of corruption at a local, state, and national level?
- How did immigration expose the racial, ethnic, religious, and class divides within the United States, and how did immigrants contribute to the economic success of the United States?
- Women's Movement
- How were women politically active during the Gilded Age and how did reform movements driven by women contribute to the successes of the progressive movement?
Please address both the focus question and the questions that accompany your topic.
Utilizing NoodleTools for your bibliography, you should have at least five sources, NOT INCLUDING THE TEXTBOOK.
- One Reference Source
- Two Secondary Sources
- Two Primary Sources