Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
The Hulbert Taft, Jr. Library
Pick one of the following topics and learn more about it in context of the 2020 election:
- Option A: The role of the media.
- Option B: The role of money and campaigning.
- Option C: The role of voter turnout.
See the assignment in your Google Drive for further details.
NoodleTools General Tips
1. Where did you find your source?
- Most likely it will be one of these:
- Online Subscription Database
2. What is your source?
- Most likely, it will be one of these:
Current News Databases
Newspaper Source Plus
Provides cover-to-cover full text for 131 national & international newspapers, as well as television and radio news transcripts and ongoing daily updates from popular news sources. NOTE: Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
ResearchIT CT U.S. Major Dailies
Provides full-text access to five major U.S. newspapers: Chicago Tribune (1985-present), Los Angeles Times (1985-present), New York Times (1980-present), Wall Street Journal (1984-present), Washington Post (1987-present). NOTE: Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
Academic Search Complete
Ebsco's largest periodicals database provides access to thousands of magazines and journals in all disciplines. Limit your search to Full Text and Document Type: Article when looking for articles. Refine your results further by using the additional limiters in the left sidebar of your search results page. NOTE: Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
Gale in Context: Opposing Viewpoints
Opposing Viewpoints, covering today's hottest social issues, is a rich resource for debaters and includes viewpoints, reference articles, infographics, news, images, video, audio, and more. A category on the National Debate Topic provides quick and easy access to content on frequently studied and discussed issues. Opposing Viewpoints is cross-searchable with Gale In Context: Global Issues. Use the following link to view an online tutorial: https://support.gale.com/training/videos/ovic NOTE:
Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
Issues & Controversies
Designed to inspire thought-provoking debates, each in-depth article presents both sides of an issue clearly and without bias. Updated weekly with key facts, arguments, history, primary sources, news editorial content, media, and current context of today’s most important issues. NOTE: Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
Sirs Issues Researcher
A general database of selected full-text articles on social, scientific, health, historic, economic, business, political, and global issues. NOTE: Citations can be exported to NoodleTools.
General Search Tips for Online Subscription Databases
- Limit results to Full Text:
- Make sure that all the results are items you can access by limiting results to Full Text results only. Databases often include a mix of full text items and abstracts/synopses of items. Selecting Full Text helps prevent frustration.
- Look for search terms in article titles.
- Database searches generally default to keyword. Using the drop-down list to the right of the search bar, look for title, document title, or comparable term such as newspaper Headline.
- Use Filters:
- Look for filters / limiters on your results page, such as Subject and Source types. This will help ensure you get only the results that you want and will make sure you don't have to wade through as many results.
- Look especially for:
- Source types: xxxxxxx
- Lexile levels of about xxxxxxx.
- Use AND / OR operators (also known as Boolean operators):
- Use AND in your search when there are words that all need to be in your search results.
- Use OR when there are two words that can be used interchangeably, but at least one of them needs to be present in your results.
- Use NOT when you want to exclude a word from your search.
- coronavirus OR COVID-19
- coronavirus OR COVID-19 AND Spain (Articles about the virus in Spain only.)
- coronavirus OR COVID-19 NOT United States (Articles about the virus anywhere but the United States.)